fbpx ...

Moving Checklist: Who Needs Your New Address

Moving Checklist: Who Needs Your New Address
Spread the love

You’ve sold your home, packed your things, and you’re ready to go. But unless you’re also entering the Witness Protection Program, you’ve got to let people know about the move. Here’s a checklist of people and institutions who need a heads-up.


If you’ve developed close friendships in your neighborhood, your local pals may want to organize a send-off party for you. Or maybe you want help with moving. In either case, letting them know well in advance is helpful. For relatives you only hear from over the holidays, send a change of address card once you have a new, permanent address.


Even if you’re just moving across town and your job isn’t changing with the move, your employer needs to keep your records up to date for tax documents and insurance paperwork.


The United States Postal Service can forward your mail to your new place, but only if you tell them. (You also usually receive a packet of moving-related coupons when you do this.)


Arrange to have the old ones disconnected and the new ones connected on moving day. You don’t want a disruption in service. Be sure to schedule the switch for your electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable, internet, garbage and other municipal services you may need.


If you move out of state, you’ll have to transfer your driver’s license and update your vehicle’s registration and insurance within a short time (10 to 30 days, depending on your new state). But even if it’s just a move across town, they will need your correct address. Usually you can handle this online. Most states will charge you to reissue a driver’s license with your new address, but that’s optional.


A number of government agencies should be notified when you’re moving. This includes the IRS and the Social Security Administration. You will also need to update or change your voter registration. You can find forms online.


Bank accounts, credit card companies and brokerages all need your new address.


The insurance agencies that provide your life, health and homeowners insurance policies should have your current address on file, as should any other organizations and individuals (such as your family attorney) you do business with.


No matter where you are moving, if you or your children are in school, you need to notify the school with your new address. You may need to register your children in a new school, depending upon how far you’ve moved and school service boundaries. If this is the case, notify both the current and the new school as far in advance as possible, and check in with the new school in person at least two days before your child will start.


Any magazines or other subscriptions should be updated. Yes, the U.S. Postal Service should notify them and forward your mail, but do you really want to risk a mix up with your sock-of-the-month club subscription?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.